Pages

Monday, June 27, 2011

The other thing that I do

For those who have known me all my life, I spend tons of hours in front of the computer connected to the internet. There's just always something to do! Checking emails, Google needed information, Google useless information, blog hopping, facebook stalking updates and not to forget my constant online shopping! Being a student years back, it gave me a lot more reasons to be in front of the laptop doing my then, endless assignments.

Through out it all, I noticed one little thing I really like to do. Graphic design.

SAY WHAT?
?

Yes! I always find things to tweak in photoshop (weirdly enough, even senseless engineering diagrams), sleepless nights tweaking html codes just so that my blog would look 'alright', not to mention some posters and banners I help to design back in Uni.

I am not necessarily good at it, but I still keep on doing it anyway. I had numerous ideas with my cousin on setting up blogshops where I get to design my header, sidebar banners, anything really. We failed about 5 times with 5 different business ideas before we succeeded with ONE. The only one that worked but we had to end it cos summer holidays were over and it's hard to juggle so many things when class starts.

I never really compiled or collected any of my work because I always feel it's not good enough and at most times I think it's crappy after a while. I still wanted to go on with an online business and still brainstormed for ideas even after getting a permanent job. Again, all fails due to lack of resources and, lack of time.

Are you still reading? Or have you dozed off already? Bare with me it's ending soon!

Cutting my very long story short, I knew this was one thing that I really like to do so I tried helping a friend to design her sister's wedding invitation card. Surprisingly, they liked it! Then few weeks back, a friend just opened a home based cafe selling noodles in Miri and she tweeted asking for someone generous enough to design their logo for them. I volunteered! At this point, I was super happy cos I had designing work to do and went straight to it. I shyly mentioned to her that I don't mind being rejected. It is my first try designing a logo anyways so let's not put up any expectations.

Then I was done, emailed her and guess what? SHE LIKED IT! I was so happy I could jump out of my window, fly to space and shout to infinity and beyond!! *cough*ehem*cough*


Yup, that's the logo. Quite simple huh. I even made a matching facebook profile picture for their facebook page. If you're in Miri, give D' Noodle a visit or just drop by their facebook page! I'll only get to try their food on my next visit, which is just 2 weeks away.

I also helped design her Aunt's cupcake business logo. And fortunate enough SHE LIKED IT TOO! Isn't my virtual cupcake yummy and lovely? No? Fine.

I hope I can do this more often though (hint: Anyone who needs help in designing their new small business logo or blog header or anything, just let me know! - end of shameless self promo)

3 comments:

Balqiz said...

Good job! I always appreciate a good work of graphic art. Keep it up! I might ask you to design my blog header one day since I change it all the time

Nadia said...

Hey THANK YOU! sureee just let me know ;) I'm a noob so go easy on me kay? hehe!

Balqiz said...

Go easy? *evil grin*

Post a Comment